So the Bible says that slavery is a ‘natural condition’, Kevin Rudd (Prime Minister of Australia)? You are misinformed. Slavery was a central pillar of ancient Near Eastern society – the cultural background for the Old Testament (OT) – so naturally the OT addresses slavery in detail. Yet the OT challenges slave law and custom. Poor families are to be treated generously so that they never fall into slavery (Deuteronomy Ch 15). And slaves must be treated like royalty, or they may flee! (Deut. 23:15-16) Read in their historical context, Old Testament slave laws are life-giving.
Justice in the Old Testament and missional church
Jazz-Talk: Biblical Law Shapes Missional Communities
- One Sermon in Two-Hundred Vancouver Churches on June 11: Welcoming the Stranger
- Ancient Laws for New Challenges: The Ten Commandments as a Critique of Inequality
- A Stranger Kind of Love: Responding to the Global Refugee Crisis
- Plans to deregulate Wall Street
- Undocumented Immigrants and Refugees “Living in Sin”?